Sunday 22 June 2008

Back in Sucre! 24th June

I'm now back in Sucre after a really good week away.. it went so fast though! I did school with the girls all week in the mornings then spent the afternoons wandering around and doing different things. Sucre feels huge now in comparison to the little villiages we drove through in the past week.

On our way we passed through the city Potosi where we had soup which bubbled and had a volcanic rock in the middle of it... interesting. From Sunday to Weds we stayed in a villiage called Yawisla. It was pretty basic.. played basketball with the bolivians one night and joined in on some sewing. There were quite a lot of jovenes as they call them or teens which surprised me because usually it seems as though they all leave as soon as they can. There was a primary and high school in the villiage so maybe thats why.
We then moved onto another village which i forget the name of just for a day where we did school in the hermana's little room. Following that we had a 4 hour drive through mountains, tiny roads and huge cliff faces to get to Camargo after a few wrong turns. It was the strangest place.. an almost city/town in the middle of nowhere. It was really interesting. We stayed there til Saturday morning.

There are loads of blocades in the main city in protest to rising taxes and some other political stuff. Basically huge lorries park themselves in the entrances to the cities so no one can get through. I'm supposed to be going Uyuni to do a tour of the salt flats but if the blocks aren't lifted it will be difficult to get there as I need to go through La Paz and Potosi.. we shall see!

Foods been good here too.. I've not been sick at all (yet). While we were away I think in every meal there was at least one strand of thick, black, Bolivian hair intwined in my food.. yum.

I had my first Spanish lesson this afternoon with a woman called Rosita. It was quite good but quick as she only had an hour. The rest of this week I'll have 2 hours a day then I'll sort something else out once I'm back.

I've become a pro with the numero 8 bus. Coming back from my lesson today a woman had her gold earring stolen from a guy who reached in through the window while the bus was moving through the market. Dunno what he'll do with one earring but the woman wasn't impressed. I also attempted a conversation with the woman I was sitting next to who was on her way to Potosi. I got that much. It was nice for someone to talk to me rather than stare for once!
I'm now off to watch a DVD with some Spanish subtitles.. see if I pick up anymore.

The only thing I missed this week was the legendary WHW race. I've heard all about it and am about to read the blog... http://west-highland-way-race07-training.blogspot.com/ Congrats on the time Dad! Yessss... I won the competition... looking forward to the t-shirt!

Hasta Luego

No comments: