Thursday 26 June 2008

Life in Sucre

I'm enjoying my time in Sucre so far. It's going so fast though! I've had Spanish lessons all week, 2 hours a day which has been good but has fried my brain a bit. I get so frustrated when I forget things cos i just wanna be able to speak Spanish! Hopefully it will come..
Had a little catastrophe yesterday. I forgot to lift my debit card from the atm machine and walked away with just the money.. duuuh. Anyway, today Liling went to see the visa man and he just went to the machine opened it and gave her my card. I love how everything is so safe here.. or maybe its just trusting??
I booked my tour for the Salar de Uyuni salt flats and all that plus a day tour thing in Potosi of the silver mines. I'll be away from Monday night to Saturday night. Really looking forward to it. The blockades have been lifted. I'm going on an overnight bus from Sucre to La Paz.. about 10 hours. I've done it from Glasgow-London but I doubt it will be the same. Advice I'd had so far: tie your bag to your leg.
Elections for the prefect in Sucre.. dunno what that would be in UK is on Sunday. The campaigns have finished today so it was fireworks/dynamite galore. The dogs love it. Theres no transport at all on Sunday, you're not even to drive your own car and theres to be no meetings of more than 2 people.
Tomorrow I'm off to visit an orphanage I'll hopefully be able to volunteer in. The girls have 2 weeks holiday so I think I'll see if I can volunteer all the second week and do lessons in the afternoon. I'm really enjoying it here now as I'm getting more into the way of life and starting to learn more language. I think its weird I feel at home and its like the other side of the world. I was chatting to the taxi guy in spanish.. or attempted to last night. It made me realise why I love it here.
I'll be back on before i"m off on Monday anyway,
Chau!

2 comments:

John Kynaston said...

Morning Emma ...

Great to read you are settling into life in Bolivia. I'm glad you got your card Back!!!

Have a great time on your trips. Looking forward to the photos already.

BTW I love the top photo on your blog. Very artistic!!

Love you lots

Dad
xx

Ernie said...

Hi Emma,

It is great to see that you are getting about and loving the place.

Hope you enjoy your trip to the salt flats.

tenga un gran viaje, disfrute de la experiencia.
AdiĆ³s Ernie